Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Improve Your Game Today!!

So your on the golf course playing from one tree line to the next and the last thing you want to hear is the course marshal telling you "sir you need to pick up the pace". Well despite the urge to throw your clubs in the nearest pond and tell the marshal how you really feel, just remember with a little time and effort, and the right fundamentals your score might not be doomed to that of a high scoring basketball game.


I, like a lot of people was at the point in my game where it seemed like I would hit every obstacle on the golf course that I wasn't supposed to, from playing the wrong fairway to hitting out of deep bunkers, losing balls in the water hazards, you name it. I was at a point where I didn't like to play with other people because I would get embarrassed by my game even though I knew I was better than I was playing, the game just seemed like it wouldn't come, and as hard as I tried I wasn't where I wanted to be.


Fast forward a couple years and here I am today 28 years old, going from being twenty plus handicap to a scratch golfer and at a point where I can compete on a professional level. The game is to the point were it seams effortless, and the swing is where it should be, confident, powerful, boring would be some of the best words to describe it. To be perfectly honest with you, though they may all come together over time there are no one tip tricks, video's, or even private lessons that will drop you twenty stokes in a day. It starts within you, and if you believe in yourself and have a strong passion and a competitive mind, than its yours for the taking, and Im going to do my best to help you get there by giving you the most important fundamentals to build on.







The Golf Swing: By far the most important part of your golf swing and the biggest thing amateur golfers lack is the basic fundaments of the swing. These fundamentals include the setup, the grip, the backswing, the downswing and the follow through. To me the thing I always thought of most about when I got up to hit the ball was only what felt comfortable, and not really a lot about the fundamentals of the swing, although this might seem like the right thing to do it can be dangerously wrong and may lead to some really bad habits that are hard to overcome. So here are some guidelines that if applied properly will have you seeing consistent low scores. I will have videos up before to long to help with the visualizations


The Setup: This is where it all starts, the proper setup is crucial in a consistent golf swing. Position your feet shoulder length apart and you should have all your weight on the balls of your feet, you want the chest and butt to sick out and have those knees slightly flexed. Good balance is key, you want your weight centered, you don't want to be leaning to far forward or two far back and try to keep your spine angle fairly straight. If anything for taller and skinner players with less balance tilt your knees in a little to give you better balance. Shoulders should be pretty even, except with a driver you can have your right shoulder below your left (for right handed players) to promote hitting the ball on the upswing. Always remember your golf swing works around good centered rotation and it starts in the setup.


The Grip: This is one of those things that I described as how being to comfortable can destroy a golf swing. A bad grip can be the result of many problems, holding the club to tight can result in a hook, holding the ball to lose can result in a slice or shanked shot, but its not necessarily holding the club to tight or to lose at address, its the change in pressure thats the killer. Change in grip pressure can result in tension in the wrist and arms changing club head position coming to impact, and also loss of swing-speed coming through impact, always try to remember to keep your grip pressure nice and firm all the way though the swing.  Remember you want to see two and a half knuckles on the left hand when at address, and your left hand thumb should be down the right center of the club, and your right hand thumb down the left. You never want to have your thumbs straight down the center, as it doesn't allow for good wrist hinging in the back swing. Look at the V shape between your forefinger and thumb in both hands, it should always face toward your right shoulder or at least right side of your head. Well, as far as technique there are many great videos and blogs that can show you proper techniques and grip types, and once you get the right grip always, always remember the most important thing is grip pressure, and try to keep the consistent pressure from start to finish, and you will start hitting balls with much more consistency.


The backswing: The transition into the back swing and the most important part is the first two feet. This is where a lot of ametuer golfers go wrong, and the biggest mistake being a lot of golfers tend to take the club back with just the hands causing a lot of problems and inconsistencies. You want to start the backswing and feel it with your left  shoulder, arm, and bottom three fingers of the hand and letting your right side be a long for the ride. A good drill would be to let someone stand directly behind you and hand the club head straight back to them with out changing anything from the address position. Think of the backswing as part of a sequence, start the back swing with the left side turn like we just talked about followed by your left knee kind of collapsing toward the ball and then letting your hips turn away from the ball (remember don't slide or straighten up) and transition to the top of the backswing. You should feel a little tightness in the lower left side of your back and inside of your right knee. If your one of those that has the reverse C, or kind of has your weight go forward at the top then this is a result in ether bowing or straightening that right knee in your back swing, try to keep it tight and flexed. The backswing ends when you feel nice and tight and your shaft is pointed at the target.


The down swing: The start of your downswing should start when left heal touches the ground and your hips begin to turn a little ahead of your shoulders. Always remember not to slide or straighten up during the downswing. Once you began your downswing and you have that left heal down and those hips turning, then just fire away. A really good and simple drill for this is the feet together drill. This is a drill I always do for at least the first 30 balls I hit at the range, it keep your hips and balance in the right position and promotes proper rotation. Always remember to let those hips turn not slide, I cant stress this part enough If you slide or lift, your spine gets out of angle and you will have bad results. At impact position your weight should be slightly forward and your hands is front of the club. You want to kind of throw the club at the ball. My train of thought is always "down and through" you want to hit down on the ball with most of your clubs except the drivers. Your point of aim should be at the front center of the ball, hitting the ball before the ground.


The follow through: The follow through is the result of everything that happened behind it. You always want a good weight transfer in the golf swing "back and through". I always think, if my swing is right than It will carry my weight to almost want me to step forward with my right foot. I don't necessarily step forward, but I can feel that weight transfer, and my right knee will always end up touching my left during my follow through leading my belt buckle to aim at the target. The last thing I want to have happen is, I like to have my elbows in tight during my follow through or my elbows close to my hips. You can always use the old towel under the arm trick, but I always find that making sure I have a good weight transfer is a good place to start.


Applying to your swing: I know this all sounds like a lot to think about and it is to some extant, but just remember you don't have to work on it all at once or think of it all in one swing. My best advise would be to simplify a certain thing in your own way, like your preparing for an exam or something. I would use a phrase that worked for me when I was on the golf course like " left, hip, and whip" would be one that I used and would refer to start with my left side, turn my hips, and whip through the swing, but that was just what I used. The point is come up with something to simplify what you learned and to keep a clear mind, because as I'm sure you know thinking too much can be disastrous. Last of all, always try apply what you learned at the range and simplify them on the course, once you start trying to fix everything on the course the round usually gets worse. If you start to apply some of the right thing to help your swing and you stay confident and positive, I guarantee you will get better. I will be doing a separate page for short game soon, so if you have any questions feel free to email me or even send in a video of your swing, I would be glad to help if I can.


draft
7/20

No comments:

Post a Comment